Skip to content


April Emergency Elections Results

2017 songsmistress/master/mistex

Sofi Chavez

Thank you to all of those who voted!

Posted in Uncategorized.


Candidates Statement April 2015 EMERGENCY Elections: 2017 Songs Mistress

Sofi Chavez

My name is Sofi Chavez, I’m running for Songs Mistress for the class of 2017. It would be an honor to fill this position and get a chance to serve the community during such an exciting, joyful time as traditions. It is my hope that I will be able to bring my love for community building and my energetic spirit to this position! Please contact me with any questions atschavez@brynmawr.edu.

Cheyenne Paulson

Hello!

My name is Cheyenne Paulson, and I’m running for Class of 2017 Songsmistress/mistex. I fell in love with Bryn Mawr when I stepped on campus two years ago. The weather was horrible; it was freezing, I almost slipped a couple of times, but I looked around and I felt something weird in my chest all day until I realized the feeling was that I was coming home. In these two years, that feeling has never left me, and I don’t think it ever will. The Class of 2017 definitely encompassed that feeling when our decision for our class song ended up being between “Home” by Phillip Phillips and “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. (I love us.)

Being Songsmistress/mistex would honestly mean the world to me, as I get to not only enjoy traditions as I usually do, but I get the chance to enjoy it with all of you in a different way while also singing, which is something I love to do. I have experience through Night Owls with singing at traditions, and I would love to bring said experience to my fellow red classmates. Extending my love through step sings and traditions is something I wish to do, because these events bring the community together in a way that we can’t describe to those who aren’t a part of it. #oddsuntilwerethrough

Thank you so much for your consideration!

Yours,
Cheyenne

 

Posted in Uncategorized.


Emergency Elections Candidates Forum Minutes

2017 SongsMistress/Master/Mistex Candidates:

Sofi Chavez 2017 and Cheyenne Paulson 2017

  • Joy Chan 2017: Why do you want this position?
    • Sofi: I want his position bc I really enjoy community and serving the community. Right now I am cp and ha and I love being part of group situations and I also love performing. I think that being songs mistress is a perfect combo of those two and things that I like to do.
    • Cheyenne: I also feel like Bryn Mawr is my home. That’s one of the big reasons I want to because I want to give back to the community
  • Delaney Williams 2017: Senior’s songsperson works closely with traditions mistresses during lantern night, what do you see your role as?
    • Sofi: I understand that teaditoks can be hectic so I would touch base with teaditoks before hand and offer my assistance in any way. I see myself as just trying to help the night go as smoothly as possible and helping the senior songs mistress and traditions heads in doing that.
    • Cheyenne: More or less the same. Our position is to assist the traditions head and the senior songs head and keep things running as smooth as possible
  • Gabby Smith 2017: What’s your favorite song and what would you add to the song book
    • Sofi: Clarity – favorite song : just fine Mary j blige I would add Forget you by c Lo green to the song book
    • Cheyenne: I love Beyonce, so I can’t decide between Halo and 7/11 for what song to add to the song book
  • Delaney Williams 2017: A lot of people smoke during step sing and there are a lot of people with asthma. What are your plans during and before step sing to stop people from smoking
    • Sofi: I believe – not sure if this is true – but there are announcements at the beginning. But j would ask people individually to put out their cigarettes . I used to be an usher at the theatre so I would do a lot of … Please don’t drink your diet coke in here … So I’ve found approaching people individually most effective.
    • Cheyenne: Approaching people individually and telling if they want to smoke to move back at least 25 ft away. Since traditions heads usually make an announcement before and during, I would make that announcement and tell people ‘Hey, either put out your cigarette or move back’
  • Delaney Williams 2017: Are you okay with being yelled at? How will you handle the tough emotional work?
    • Sofi: I’ve been in situations where I’ve led assemblies and large groups of people and there are people who want to push back and not go with the flow so I’ve learnt not to take it personally. There are a lot of emotions and some people aren’t directing those comments directly at me.
    • You can’t take it personally because some people may be drunk so their emotions won’t be where you want them to be at that moment, You kind of need to carry on and make sure that what needs to be done is done.
  • Joy Chan 2017:  I know a lot of times for step sing the underclassmen don’t feel comfortable, what would you do to bring them out of their shell?
    • Sofi: I think that’s an important problem bc I remember because dazed and confused during step sing – even this year. As I said, I’ll be an ha and I’ll be around during customs week and so ill ask others what they would do. At this point right now, I’m not sure but I’ll definitely know once I come back onto campus. I would reach out for advice and support and other songs heads and how they’ve dealt with situations like these before.
    • Cheyenne: I would talk to them before step sing before hand to see if they’re okay, or direct them to someone on their DLT. It’s really hectic during step sing, so I would check in with them during step sing.

Posted in April Elections 2015, Candidates forum.

Tagged with .


April Elections Results

Dear Undergraduates of Bryn Mawr College,

Here are the results for April Elections Round!

Heads of Residence Council:
Elaine Holehan and Olivia Hollinger

Heads of Student Curriculum
Rhea Manglani and Madison Wilson

Social Committee
Samantha Heyrich

Civic Engagement Representative
Mara Dominguez

CPD Representative
Natalie DiFrank

Traditions
Jasmine Rangel and Celeste Ledesma

2016 Honor Board
Celeste Gambino
Farah Al-Yaquout
Rachel Weissler

2017 1yr Honor Board
Meera Jayaraman

2018 2 year Honor Board
Rachel Massey

2018 1 year Honor Board
Swati Shastry

Appointments Committee
Diamond Ray

2016 Class President
Coco Wang and Chanel Williams

2016 Songsmistress
Rachel Ofili

2017 Class President
Aleja Newman

2018 Class President
Ann Tran and Connie Lam

2018 SongsMistress
Sarah Juma

Posted in April Elections 2015, elections.

Tagged with .


April 2015 Run-Off Elections!

Hello Everyone!

The votes were too close to tell for not one, but two positions in the recent election! As a result, there will be a run-off election for the following positions:
Traditions Mistress:
Jasmine Rangal & Celeste Ledesma
2016 One Year Representative to the Honor Board:
Elizabeth Vandenberg
Rachel Weissler
Polls will be open tomorrow morning (4/23) at 9 AM until Friday (4/24) night at 7 PM on moodle. There will be one ballot for all class years.
??’s elections@brynmawr.edu
Happy Voting!
Joy and Delaney
Co-Heads of Elections

Posted in April Elections 2015, elections, Honor Board, Run-Offs, Traditions.


Candidates Statement April 2015 Elections: 2017 One-Year Honor Board Representative

Meera Jayaraman

Being on the Honor Board as One-Year Representative to Class of 2017

last year has been a powerful part of my sophomore experience and way to give

back to the community, and I hope to be reelected to the position.

I have learned many of the important aspects of the job. If elected, I will serve as

a confidential representative of my class in the student body in hearings and

other situations, a resource for students who have questions about processes

associated with the Honor Board, as well as a facilitator of communication and

outreach to help educate students constantly about the details of the honor code

and how it directly affects student life. I have prior knowledge of the job and all

that it entails, and hope to improve outreach and publicity by being a member this

upcoming year.

I am currently in the process of organizing an initiative to help improve and

understand bi-co relations in respect to the honor code. The initiative will

hopefully conduct two different forums at the different schools to educate

students at each school on the other’s honor code. When being a part of

academic and social life at another school in the bi-co, I believe that it is

important to know their honor code and processes fully so that nothing is left up

to chance. I hope to further this initiative while working in collaboration with

Haverford’s Honor Council.

In the past, I have been trusted with issues of a critical nature while being

a member of the Customs Committee as well as a Customsperson. Both the DLT

and being on the Honor Board have given me experiences with issues that must

be kept confidential, and I have proved myself and believe that I will serve the

Honor Board well in that respect. I also consider myself articulate and open to

speaking about the Honor Code to help educate upcoming first year

effectively. With information sessions or teas, first-year students and beyond

would have a free, safe space to express thoughts about the Honor Code and

different aspects of it such as confrontation and micro-aggressions, both of which

have proved problematic in the past.

Finally, I believe that I would be a great candidate to be reelected for the

position because I truly care about educating the student body about the Honor

Code, resolving academic and social issues, and creating an environment that is

respectful and welcoming to all students, regardless of race, class, gender, or

sexual identity. As a woman of color, I am witness to many issues that divide us

as a student body, and I believe that respecting and educating people on the

honor code will facilitate a safe space for all members of the College.

Posted in Uncategorized.


Candidates Statement April 2015 Elections: Heads of Student Curriculum Committee

Rhea Manglani

After having one of the most stressful semesters of my life, I knew I should run for curriculum

committee. All too often do we at Bryn Mawr complain about our stress and talk about it with

our deans and professors, but rarely do we discuss structural changes that can be put into place to

ease this. I want to hear from the student body the ideas they have and complaints they have as

well as from faculty and staff. I’ve heard a broad range of suggestions from extending the pass

fail deadline to having a first semester of pass fail classes. I will gladly research and work with

the faculty and staff at Bryn Mawr to enable whatever changes is possible. Furthermore, I am a

transfer student, so I understand how different schools function and can bring in that perspective

to this role. Being a transfer student, I have a strong idea of what is done at other universities and

what is feasible to be done here versus what is not. I hope to bring in feasible, structural change

for the student body.

Another big reason I want to apply for this is because of the diversity requirement. The diversity

requirement was brought up after the confederate flag incident and since then, died down. I

attended several talks on what this requirement should look like and what students want this to

look like, but have seen no outlet or opening for said requirement. I believe a diversity

requirement should be mandatory because all students have expressed hearing micro aggressions

based on their non-dominant identity. Many of these micro aggressions were not only completely

avoidable, but also, these aggressions continue to happen. With a proper diversity requirement

and training, hopefully the number of times these incidents will occur will decrease and the

student body will leave this school more well-rounded.

Madison Wilson

Hello! My name is Madison Wilson ’17, and I am running for the Head of Student Curriculum

Committee.

As a current member of the Student Curriculum Committee (SCC), I am interested in continuing

to be a resource and liaison for students regarding curricular concerns, communicating these to

faculty and administration. I would hold weekly meetings to address this year’s goals for next

year, as well as issues/concerns as they arise.

I will work with our deans, Committee on Academic Priorities (CAP), the Faculty Curriculum

Committee, and student groups around campus to provide the resources for professional

development and on-campus resources for STEM majors/minors, to increase the diversity of

faculty and administration, and to expand Bryn Mawr’s access to programs within the Quaker

Consortium. I would attend weekly SGA meetings to communicate the Curriculum Committee’s

progress in these areas, as well as to hear community feedback on how we are addressing.

As mentioned, my interest comes from my participation in this committee and my desire to

continue the work we have started, such as instituting a diversity requirement, or more diversity

into the curriculum as it stands. I am familiar with annual reports and other published documents

on our curriculum’s progress over the span of ten years, and have familiarized myself with the

faculty and administrative resources which I will be in close contact with, if elected.

I want to be more active in addressing miscommunications between faculty/administrative

groups and students, facilitating more discussion when issues do arise, to keep them on the

table until they are resolved. I will not be studying abroad during the academic year, so will be

an available resource for the entirety of next year, and hope to have a greater role in making the

curriculum more flexible to the needs of our student body as SCC’s Head.

Thank you!

Madison Wilson

mwilson06@brynmawr.edu

Posted in Uncategorized.


April Candidates Forum 2015 Minutes

April 15, 2015 Candidates Forum Minutes

 

  1. CPD/ Lilac Representative Candidates, Natalie DiFrank ‘17
    1. Aleja Newman ‘17: Why are you equipped to run for this position
      1. Natalie: My experience with CPD helps me to know how to best serve the community
    2. Sophia Oleas ‘15: What new ideas do you want to bring to the position?
      1. Natalie: Wants to improve the marketing and visibility of CPD and career peers; proposed the idea of doing more workshops in conjunction with affinity groups.
  2. 2016 Class Presidents Candidates: Chanel Williams ‘16 & Coco Wang ‘16, Noor Masannat ’16 &Karunya Venugopa ‘16
    1. Charlie Bruce ‘16: How will you stir up enthusiasm to get seniors to donate to senior gift?
      1. Chanel: Musicathon in the campus center, to get people in and excited about donating money!
      2. Karunya: Visibility is good, reaching out to everyone by stuffing mailboxes and spreading the word that it’s important!
    2. Pam Gassman ‘16:  What past experiences do you have that you believe would make you qualified for this position
      1. Coco: Organizing teas as customs on Denbigh 3rd allows me
        and Chanel to work well together. I am a CDA and was a Seven Sisters Rep for SGA, Chanel is a peer mentor in rock and is currently class president with Grace Kim. We’re both in DLT and have been involved in leadership throughout the years in SGA. Know how to organize events and engage campus.
      2. Noor:  We both have been part of SGA since freshmen year, and have done a lot of activities. Karunya was class president freshmen and sophomore year.  I have been a member at large for two years and also runs a club and thus has experience running teas.
    3. Nora Scheland ’15: Do you have any ideas for senior cocktail themes and how to encourage strong participation in senior cocktails throughout the year?
      1. Coco: Having the themes be more accessible to groups such as international students and other backgrounds. Consider getting input and planning during the summer so that they have back up plans to ensure a variety of themes. Wanting people to come because they are interested and not because you are forcing people to come.
      2. Karunya: Having different themes for things will make it a lot of fun, like a Great Gatsby theme for example. Also having a doodle polls to see when people would be free to appeal to the widest audience.
    4.  Brenna Levitin ‘16: Can you talk about your experiences of making these events more accessible to various groups of people (working students, students with disabilities, etc.)?
      1. Coco: We’ve both had experience accommodating athletes and their schedules. Willing to reach out to access services to ensure that those with certain needs are accommodated
      2. Noor: Work as a student manager at Wyndham and knows that there are many students that have work until late at night. I plan on doing my best to make sure as many people as possible can get to events.
    5.   Angela Motte ‘17: Describe your working experiences with one another.
      1. Chanel: Coco is the more bubbly person, and I need some warming up to. Coco is really open, I am to an extent but it takes time! We balance each other in that way. Both of us are organized. To some extent we have different friend groups and we communicate with different people on campus and that is important in getting the pulse of the whole class.
      2.  Karunya: We’ve been in the same major, in Pol-sci, and we’ve had to work together a lot. While we are good friends, we know how to get things done. Both of our positions in SGA have also helped us learn to get along well.
    6.  Aleja Newman 17: You all seem quite busy and really active. How will you manage your time?
      1. Coco: The reason I wanted to run with chanel is because we work together so well and we know how to step in and encourage each other when tired. Especially in the spring when things get stressful. We can step up to the plate as a team when stuff comes up. Next year we will not have nearly as much responsibility as now, and we are confident that we can handle all the work assigned to this role.
      2. Noor: I’ve wanted to run for Class President for my senior year for a while now so I’ve planned accordingly. The only other main responsibility I have is my student manager job at Wyndham. Both Kar and I have made sure that this job is our priority over anything else, so we can put our all in it.
  3. Civic Engagement Representative Candidate: Mara Dominguez ‘16
    1. Angela Motte ’17 Why do you want this position and what would you bring to this role
      1.  Mara: I’m currently part of programs now and I think working with the children there has really made me prepared for this role. I really want to create for Bryn Mawr Peers that are more aware of their community
    2. Farah Al-Yaqout ‘16: How do you plan on making outreach in through civic engagement more physical than virtual?
      1. Mara: I plan to hold pop-ups and tell people that the CEO is there to help. If I am voted into this position, I plan on using SGA as a platform to reach out to more people.
    3. Aleja Newman ‘17: How do you plan to encourage more people to go off campus?
      1. Mara: For tutoring and many other programs, the transportation is provided. If it’s not provided, than the cost of travel is reimbursed. I want to encourage students to travel with friends as well!
  4. 2017 Class President Candidate Aleja Newman ‘17
    1.      Gabby Smith 17: What’s your biggest idea for the year?
      1. Aleja: I have problems reading my emails. I check FB regularly. Posting info from emails on FB to be accessible to the class.
    2. Angela Motte ‘17: What problems do you perceive in this role?
      1. Aleja: The only thing is that I am running by myself.
    3.  Linden Grazier ‘17: How do you see McBrides fitting into the class picture?
      1.   Aleja: I really want to engage McBrides more. I want to find times that work for everyone to accommodate off campus students.
    4. Rachel Bruce ‘18: How do you plan to interact with your sibling class more?
      1. Aleja: more active teas, getting more participation in teas, having more joint teas
    5. Pam Gassman 16: How do you plan to manage your time commitments?
      1. Aleja: only in RM and Posse; Posse commitment ends junior year and RM are only weekends. Weeks are more accessible for me.
  5. 2018 Class President Candidates: Ann Tran & Connie Lam, *Tina Chen and Nam Nyugen *Answers sent in via email after CF*
    1. Charlie Bruce 16: One of the responsibilities is to organize a lot of stuff with Hell Week. There are a lot of orders that need to be made for Hell Week, what do you do if you don’t place the orders on time?
      1. Ann:  The best thing to do instead of cracking up is to act immediately. I believe that Bryn Mawr is an open enough community that this won’t happen, but of course I can’t predict the future
      2. Tina: It is our job as sophomore class presidents to order the items on time and make sure that Hell Week runs smoothly for the first years, like it did for us. If we fail to order items for Hell Week, we are failing the entire first year class. And we would never let that happen. We want first-years to have an amazing Hell Week and we will never let them down.
    2. Pam Gassman ’15: How would you aid the Traditions Mistresses in the new changes for Hell Week
      1. Connie:  I know that a lot of people in our class may not be as open for the change of Hell Week. As class presidents, we plan on working with the students to make them see that the changes are good, and to be open to the changes
      2. Nam: We understand that changing the tradition will bring concerns. In this process, we will open our doors to any questions and ideas. We will relay these messages to Traditions Mistresses and the committee working on the changes to make sure that the underlying goals of Hell Week are not forgotten. We will also promote open meetings and transparency with the working group so that everyone’s voices can contribute to Hell Week’s evolution.
    3. Sophia Oleas ’15: What other positions will you have next year to help you do this next year?
      1. Ann: Both Connie and I are in Hyphen, so that may be a conflicts, but whenever we are passionate about something we will be able see it through until the end.
      2. Tina: We both hold several leadership roles in Bryn Mawr. I am the secretary of CCSA this year and will be the Chief Operating Officer of Bryn Mawr’s microfinance institution next year. Both Nam and I are on the executive board of Bi-Co Finance Club, so we already have experience working with each other in a professional setting and collaborating with other students. Since we also live under the same roof, we know how to have honest communication, how to resolve conflicts, and how to effectively work together.
    4.  Bridget Murray ’17 : Sophomore year is pretty notorious for things like the sophomore slump. How do you plan on helping people get through that?
      1. Connie:  We were planning on having a lot of teas as destressors, and maybe even a trip to philly that would make them bond and have fun
      2. Nam: One way to get through sophomore slump is to take a break from your usual routine to do something different. Go to the city, spice things up, leave your schoolwork for awhile. We will also help you to get on right track in terms of your goals. Thus, we will work with LILAC and the Dean’s office to create more goal-oriented workshops and activities to propel students towards their interests.
    5. Brenna Levitin ‘16 (To Ann and Connie): How would you make a trip like that accessible
      1. Ann:  Thanks for bringing that up, we will definitely try to keep that into consideration and plan accordingly. While we don’t any have plans yet, we could do something more accessible like have a picnic that everyone would enjoy.
  6. Social Committee Head Candidates: Samantha Heyrich
    1. Charlie Bruce 16: What would you do if you saw one of your bouncers being unable to deal with a drunk heckler?
      1.     Sam: High school- elected to join a board which taught them how to handle students who consume illicit substances, so she knows how to work with people under the influence
    2.  Jenn Thoman ‘15: What experiences have you had on campus that will help you with the position?
      1.  Sam: Social committee member, planned the campus meeting on alcohol, planned events like winter formal, is on SAC and the community service board and planned events for that etc. read statement for specifics
    3. Anna Kalinsky 15: Have you planned events that are not dances or parties?
      1.  Sam: I know that parties aren’t everyone scene, I want to speak to more people in the community and want to hear suggestions from people, teas are good too
    4.   Brenna Levitin 16: How will you incorporate more people to make events to make events more accessible
      1. Reaching out to many different people to help accommodate their needs
    5.  Anna Sargeant 15: How to improve or build on the relation between SoCo and the EBoard?
      1. Communication is key, want to talk to former coheads and the eboard to figure out what is going well and where to go forward
    6. Nora Scheland 15: How to further the talks on party policy changes?
      1. Sam: It is important that we continue forward and make sure that the party policy   is still relevant
    7. Sofia 15: Are you going to continue with the paid bouncers listserve?
      1. Yes.
  7. 2016 Songsmistress Candidates: Jo Dutilloy ‘16, Rachel Ofili ‘16
    1. Angela Motte 17: Why do you want this position?
      1. Jo:   I’ve done it for two years, I’ve adored facilitating step sings, singing, and helping people have fun and one of my favorite things about bryn mawr
      2. Rachel: I love traditions, I love Bryn Mawr, it’s my home. Being songsmistress is one of my favorite past times. It’s great to get everyone hyped and to get everyone excited and emotional.
    2.  Anna Sargeant 15: Senior’s songsperson works closely with traditions mistresses during lantern night, what do you see your role as?
      1.  Jo: I want to make sure that everyone knows what they are involved with in terms of setting up and cleaning up, and making sure lantern night runs smoothly, wants to work really closely with traditions
      2. Rachel:  Definitely lantern night is a huge thing, all of the sophias and pallas practices and making sure your with them and teaching. Also being sure your with them in Lantern night. During Step sing with candles and step sings and smoking, being on one accord with the traditions mistresses will make it much easier.
    3. Anna Kalinsky ‘15- What song would you add to the songbook?
      1. Jo- Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars
      2. Rachel- Probably Single Ladies, get a little Beyonce in there.
    4. Brenna Levitin ’16: A lot of people smoke during step sing and there are a lot of people with asthma. What are your plans during and before step sing to stop people from smoking
      1. Jo:   Traditions takes care of it beforehand. I’m good at yelling at people. Gotten positive feedback from people about. Harass people until they leave because we do not have control over emails sent out by traditions beforehand.
      2. Rachel:  I would agree, email before hand. Letting people know it’s a safety hazard. During the event letting people know it’s dangerous and contact public safety, during the event people come up to us and tell us
    5. Jenn Thoman ‘15: Are you okay with being yelled at? How will you handle the tough emotional work?
      1. Jo:   You put your foot down and accept their reaction; they won’t remember the next day; absolutely worth it; a bunch of happy people after so it’s not about who gets mad at me
      2. Rachel: I’m on the volleyball team so I’m used the being yelled out also by my mom. Also life goes on, it’s not a big deal for me.
    6. Mara Dominguez: I know a lot of times for step sing the underclassmen don’t feel comfortable, what would you do to bring them out of their shell?
      1. Jo: Direct energy to whatever point in the circle you want; encouraging people to get involved and excited
      2. Rachel: I’d start a lot of chanting to get everyone riled up, and encourage them to stand up and sing songs. I have plans to get super wacky next year, wigs are involved. I really want to encourage the frosch to be excited about step-sing!
  8. 2018 SongsMistress Candidates Sarah Juma
    1.  Rina Patel ‘18: Some complaints with the class song “This girl is on fire” what song would you recommend switching to
      1. Sarah: Out of personal tastes, I like Katy Perry’s roar because the lyrics are empowering. I know the 2017 is also pretty hard to pull of
    2.  Anna Sargeant ‘15: What’s your favorite song in the song book
      1. Sarah: The even and the odds
    3. Anna Kalinsky ‘15: What song would you add to the songbook?
      1. Sarah:     Beyonce’s 7/11
  9. Traditions Head Candidates Cheyenne Paulson ‘17 & Katherine Mulligan ‘17, Sophia Randazzo ‘17
    1. Charlie Bruce 16: How do you personally deal with people being upset with you?
      1.  Katherine: traditions constantly evolve; it is the nature of things; I can’t take it personally; Bryn Mawr as a community decided to change the traditions and not just the heads of traditions
      2. Sophia:  I guess I have always been on a team. Being able to be on a team for so long has given me the chance to deal with criticism very well, and grow from it.
    2.     Pam Gassman ‘16: Who have you talked to that makes you think that you are prepared for the commitments of being a part of this?
      1. Cheyenne: Seeing Anna Sargeant go through it and reading through the actual position has given me an idea of what the position entails.
      2. Sophia: I’m friends with Nora and Jenn, and with Anna, a lot of customs people, and with people on SAC. I’ve been able to understand heads of the community and how they work
    3. Anna Sargeant ‘15, What experiences at Bryn Mawr have prepared you for this position.
      1. Katherine: I directed MacBeth; working with people for your show and making sure all that runs goes smoothly; a lot of that work is pretty relevant to making traditions work
      2. Sophia:  For Hell Week, I was the heller of four people and we were able to successfully have good experience. Those who had bad experience helped me learn how to react to those who react poorly. I’m involved in a lot of food things on campus and volunteer a lot
    4.   Rhea Manglani ‘17: How do you plan to incorporate transfers into traditions that are very focussed on the frosch?
      1. Cheyenne: Trying to send out events through all facebook groups, and keeping all people more aware and whatnot
      2. Sophia: Being friends with a mcbride I’ve heard how people feel left out and want to work to help them.
    5. Brenna Levitin 16: What would you do about the issue of drinking on campus, particularly during Hell Week?
      1. Cheyenne/Katherine:  There is an honor code but whether or not people choose to adhere to it in some cases is ultimately on them; in the real world there is not always an honor code and people are not always going to be safe and comfortable
      2. Sophia:  I think that consent is such a big thing, especially involving alcohol. I’ve been in a lot of situations where people have had too much to drink. I think that the traditions heads really do encourage qhat you as an individual now and are forced to do if you are in a pressured situation.
    6. Diija Chen ‘16: What do you envision Hell Week to look like next year?
      1. Cheyenne/Katherine:  Going right off of that, what we envision hell week to look is supposed to have a sense of community in general so I envision that it will have that sense of community and comfort that I got when I got there.
      2. Sophia: I always thought that hell week is about upperclassmen making friends with the underclassmen. It’s about friendship and creating a community. I can’t say exactly what I think of hell week will be next year, but I can say it will still encompass those qualities.
    7. Pam Gassman ‘16: What areas in tradition do you think needs the most in improvement?
      1. Cheyenne/Katherine: Being able to respond to the problems that people have in traditions and I feel like people have a lot of problems that things aren’t being heard and aren’t being changed. We aren’t privy to that information yet but we would like to make that happen for at least first years to have meetings with their customs people and what their customs people tell us about that because those customs people are more comfortable speaking about these things with them.
      2. Sophia:   I guess just that people need to have more clarification. Going off of that, talking to my friends there are more issues that need to be addressed with compassion. People need to be open to their compassion and I think that next year will be difficult handling all of the issues
    8. Bridget Murray ‘17: How do you plan to keep traditions as an aspect to unite our community and not as negative wedge especially with backlash etc.?
      1. Cheyenne/Katherine:  I think that having a follow up email after traditions to see how people feel about traditions after Bryn Mawr is important to keep people’s opinions in mind. Office hours are also important to have and encourage people to show up.
      2. Sophia: I feel like office hours and the survey that has been implemented is great. Encourage people to have an open mind about traditions. Traditions are about us, and encouraging others to have an open mind while also accepting criticism when necessary.
    9. Anna Sargeant ’15 The administration asks you to do something that you know won’t be very effective. What would you do in this scenario?
      1. Cheyenne/Katherine: I think that the first thing that is important is to figure out what the purpose of the administration is to ensure that what traditions and administration is trying to do. Using your position to try to make change that will actually happen.
      2. Sophia:  I think that if I or we don’t think something is correct for the community at large and talk to the community and try to get the administration is trying to get. And if the majority—or minority is against this change, we can try our best to have everyone’s voices acknowledged and taken into consideration.
  10. Head of Residence Council Candidates: Olivia Hollinger (present) & Elaine Holehan (Not present)
    1. Angela Motte ‘17: What are you looking forward to if you accept this this position?
      1. Olivia: I’m excited about bringing the dorms together, as I’ve seen being Dorm President, and I’m hoping to do that again.
    2. Charlie Bruce ‘16: Imagine the administrators have established a policy that you know would be unpopular with residents. What would you do?
      1. Olivia: As Res-co heads, Elaine and I will be in the administration and will have the ability to address their concerns and bring it to the council. Then we could ask for their suggestions and do what I can. Much of this would require a dialogue between the two parties.
      2. Bridget Murray ‘17: How do you handle confrontation?
        1. Olivia: Elaine and I have had a lot of experience with this. She started the pay rate commission and has a lot of experience being confronted on difficult subjects. When being confronted, step back, think and then respond. Can’t be reactionary, causes more problems
      3. Bridget Murray ‘17: How would you address your priorities for next year?
        1. Olivia:  My day is completely open, have classes three days a week. Between the two of us we have a lot of time oven. I check my email 40 times a day and if we get this position it will be our number one priority
      4. Bridget Murray ‘17:  Can you describe  a situation that you handled poorly and how you’d change it for next year.
        1. Olivia: We’re going through a situation right now in rock where equipment isn’t working like it should be working. We’ve realized that when dealing with administration you need to be direct.
  11. Student Curriculum Committee Candidates: Madison Wilson, Rhea Manglani
    1. Charlie Bruce ‘16: Why do you want to run for this position?
      1. Rhea:  There is a huge stress culture and I want to help set forth ways in which we can start conversation. I think that diversity requirement is integral and important in making us better people past our years at Bryn Mawr because this community is diverse and as a international and local student, I think that’s important.
      2. Maddie:  I think that a lot of people don’t know that we are student liaisons for faculty, students, and admin, and that a lot of issues that come up in the year have a lot to do with diversity and how to incorporate that better in our curriculum. I just see a lot of visible issues that I want to work on.
    2. Angela Motte ‘17: What can you bring to this role?
      1. Rhea: I do have the experience of working in SGA and as a transfer student, how we can implement structures to better suit this community as a whole.
      2. Maddie: 1.       I’m on this committee right now and I’ve worked with Heidi. We have tried to set some basis in this but there are just a lot of issues that need to be resolved. Just understanding these issues and know that you can implement them through the curriculum is important. I’ll bring that experience to further aid the community.
  12. Appointments Committee Candidates Diamond Ray
    1.  Charlie Bruce ‘16: One of the criticisms is that SGA is exclusive. How would you use this positions to be less exclusive?
      1. Diamond:  As a CDA in Merion, I feel like I can make people feel inclusive and that there opinions are valued
    2. Bridget Murray ‘17: Let’s say that the committee makes a decision that someone doesn’t like, and they trash talk you. What do you do?
      1. Diamond: I’d try to form some type of dialogue to tell them why that choice was something we made as a group. Let them know that the media they chose wasn’t great, and they should’ve confronted me.
    3. Charlie Bruce ‘16: As a member of the appointments committee, you could potentially have to interview your best friend. Would you be able to do that and remain unbiased?
      1. Diamond:  As humans we have inherent bias, but I can look at the people and see what qualities they bring to the table and look at the position objectively
  13. 2016 One Year Honor Board Representative Candidates: Celeste Gambino ‘16, Miranda Smith ‘16, Rachel Weissler ‘16, Farrah Al-Yaquout ‘16, Alice Bell ‘16, Elizabeth Vandenberg ‘16
    1. Jenn Thoman ‘15: What experiences have you had that make you want to be on the honor board your senior year?
      1. Celeste:   I am a current member of the honor board so I would like to continue that and the honor code is an important part of why I came to Bryn Mawr. With my experiences, I know that I have things that I would like to improve.
      2. Miranda:  I have not been on the honor board but coming to this community I’ve gotten a lot from reflecting on its integrity
      3. Rachel: I actually went to a high school that had an honor code as well. I am also a CDA and we have dealt with things that I have transferable skills to honor code. I’m also almost done with my major so I can give this my all and I’m excited for this position!
      4.  Farah: I, like a lot of people, thought that the honor code was interesting when I applied, so being part of that board is really important. The code affects a lot of things that happen on campus every day
      5. Alice:  I want to echo that community piece and I am a transfer student. I’ve transferred twice. The honor code was something that I noticed immediately when I stepped onto campus and it’s my last year so I think that it would be an incredible opportunity to be a part of it.
      6. Elizabeth:   I haven’t been on the honor board yet, but I have been involved a lot with positions of honor at bryn mawr. I met a lot with the head of the honor board to see if someone should be disqualified if they’ve done something that’s not within the bounds of honor. I want to be involved and I feel like that’s really important in this community.
    2. Angela Motte ‘17 Have you read the honor code?
      1. Celeste: Yes
      2. Miranda: Yes
      3. Rachel: Yes
      4. Farah: Yes
      5. Alice: Yes
      6. Elizabeth: Yes
    3. Charlie Bruce ‘16: Could you list what clubs or organizations you’re in that would create a personal conflict for hearings?
      1. Celeste: I work as a tour guide but I haven’t had a lot of conflicts this year.
      2.  Miranda: I am the SGA rep for the Mcbride committee, only conflicts with other Mcbride Students.
      3. Rachel:  I’ll be CDA again in the fall but that’s also a place of big confidentiality so I have experienced how to keep things private. I don’t know how big of a conflict that would be otherwise.
      4. Farah:    I’m going to be HA next year, that could be a conflict and I’ve been customs. I’m leader of a club, which could also cause conflict
      5. Alice: I am a member of the athletic community but I don’t expect that to present anything conflicts.
      6. Elizabeth:     I talked to someone on the honor board about this, something I thought about. I’m editor of the college news, that’s my only commitment for next year. I know that I’d be able to say when I had a conflict of interest and not be involved in a hearing.
    4. Bridget Murray ‘17: What are the biggest problems with how we discuss the social and academic honor code?
      1. Celeste:  I think that people talk about it as a trial and as something to punish. People expect that to be a harsh system and I think that if we have more face to face time I know that things like mock hearings are a great way to get out what an actual hearing looks like. People have questions but they don’t know that they have that question. If we could not isolate that and bring it out to our community, that would be useful.
      2. Miranda:  I think that there’s a lot of terror around confrontation, very negatively perceived. Reshape conversations around confrontation. It’s supposed to be constructive. We miss that when we talk about what the honor code is and how it affects us.
      3. Rachel: I think that we are so lucky that we have this honor code and just making sure that people have the opportunity to know more about it.
      4. Farah: Similar to Celeste people fear the honor board. It’s not a policing government it’s a rule that you do everyday and you should be aware of that. That’s why I want to be apart of the honor board as well.
      5. Alice: think that we should also emphasize opening up the dialogue with members in the community and making sure it’s not about terror. I think that making that a goal – more conversations is a big part of this.
      6. Elizabeth:  Going off of what Celeste just said I think that the honor code isn’t taken seriously, but going in front of the honor board is to punish you. I think that the current honor board and the one before that has done a lot of work because of a lot upperclassmen aren’t a huge fan of it, while the underclassmen enjoy it.
    5. Charlie Bruce ‘16: Why do you want to be on the Honor Board?
      1. Celeste: To help adapt and change it to issues I have seen this year.
      2. Miranda: Because we have the power to create the community we want to live in and I think the honor board is a great way to do that
      3. Rachel: The Honor code is really instilled with Quaker Values and I think that’s instilled in Bryn Mawr and that’s something that I treasure.
      4. Farah: Self governance is important to me and I want to be part of the community.
      5. Elizabeth:  Because I think that the honor code and honor board are reproductions of the mutual trust of our community.
  14. 2017 One Year Honor Board Representative Candidates: Meera Jayaraman ‘17
    1. Jenn Thoman ‘15: Why do you want to stay in this position?
      1. Meera:  I was on the honor board this year and it gave me a lot of insight in Bryn Mawr that I didn’t see before. It changed my rosy picture of Bryn Mawr as a first year but the fact that I still want to be a part of it says a lot. I think that it gives back a lot to this community and a great practice for the real world in making these decisions and giving back in an effective way.
    2. Bridget Murray ‘17: What is something that you worked on last year that was successful and if there was something that wasn’t, what would you want to change about it?
      1. Meera: I think that we worked really well as a group for the successful thing, and that we were open on the bias we had. For something that we need to work on, I just contacted a member of the Haverford Honor Council and she basically wants to start this initiative to educate the difference in honor codes on the Bi-Co. Obviously we go back and forth on the bi-co but they don’t know the actual ins and outs and we want to start the in and out initiatives with forums
    3.     Mara Dominguez ‘16: What are three words to describe yourself as being grateful for this role?
      1. Meera: Creative, Collaborative, and Ethical…which is important
  15. 2018 Two Year Honor Board Representative Candidates: Rachel Massey ‘18
    1.   Charlie Bruce ‘16: Why do you want to run for this position in as many words as you want?
      1. Rachel:  I think that the Honor Board is important for the community. For instance, my first thought when I lost my phone was where would I find it instead of who took my phone. I think that part of Bryn Mawr is important and for me to be more a part of this community that I appreciate. In addition, being able to heal the harm in our community and things that make our community so great.
    2. Charlie Bruce ‘16:  What are you general feelings about the honor board?
      1. Rachel: I was on crew this year and I did deal with experience on the honor board and I want to adhere to the idea that there will be repercussions of what happens. Not for people to know the ins and out of hearing but having more of an ability to heal the community together. I also liked Celeste’s idea on mock trials.
  16. 2018 One Year Honor Board Representative Candidates: Sohini Maniar ‘18, Haidyn Weight ‘18, Maeve White ‘18, Rina Patel ‘18, Swati Shastry ‘18
    1. Meera Jayaraman ‘17: Being a member of the honor board can be really draining. What sources do you have to support you throughout the year?
      1. Sohini: Talking to HAs, other honor board members, DLT etc
      2. Haidyn:   At this stage in our lives our friends are a huge support system for us. Also my mom is a great support who has a lot of life experience to help me
      3. Maeve:  Friends are important
      4. Rina: Friends and DLT are great. The health center is great for helpful distress. Also my dean because a lot of honor code things are confidential
    2. Charlie Bruce ‘16: One of the criticisms of the honor board is that by being so confidential that you’re covering up the accountability. How do you prepare to combat that?
      1. Sohini:  Confidentiality is important part of the process; say as much as I could without revealing too much; maintaining neutrality
      2. Haidyn: I agree with confidentiality but the accountability comes from the person who needs the hearing.
      3. Maeve:  Confidentiality is a really important; they are questioning how effectively and appropriately; ask them why we are questioning the honor board and it’s utility then maybe something about the honor board needs to be changed
      4. Rina:    I think that in order for people to ensure that people are transparent it can be transparent about the actions, but not say what the actions is
      5. Swati: This ties into the fact that there’s so many misconceptions about what the honor board does. If you are involved in such thing you can talk about how they occur.
    3. Celeste Gambino ‘16: On the topic of talking to the community about the role of the honor board, what ideas do you have to talk with the community to clear up common misconceptions?
      1. Sohini:  Information sessions are really important; First year I did not know it’s jurisdiction; multiple sessions is good for accommodating schedules; customs week and info sessions for transfers and stuff
      2. Haidyn:   I think that communication is the biggest key concept to ensure misconceptions are cleared up. The best way to clear up is to communicate that the honor board is about communication and teaching, and be clear that it’s more of a dialogue and a conversation. More emphasis on the resolution
      3. Maeve:  It would also be helpful if explanations existed that weren’t inaccessible; no verbatim copies of the constitution; there could be a clearly laid out explanation for it on many platforms
      4. Rina:   As a first year this year I thought that the honor board was an intangible thing, and not until I saw them as classmates. Maybe have teas about meeting the honor board, what their goals are, and expand on ideas like leaving shoes in the hallway.
      5. Swati:  To me, misconceptions of the honor board are the biggest idea of it. I think it’s important to know that in this community is held together and you are held to a certain standard.
    4. Jenn Thoman ‘15: A lot of the initiative you explained are already have already been set in motion last year. What else would you do to address those problems?
      1. Sohini: Pass
      2. Haidyn: My first thought is an open dialogue and I don’t know how necessarily it would play out. But on a peer to peer bases. It’s been said that emails aren’t the best way to communicate, so I’d start with dialogues and see how that pans out.
      3. Maeve:   Obvious answer is free food; a lot of it goes back to customs week there is too much going on; the honor board was not one of the first things that seems important when you get there; emphasize how important going through things during customs week is; more emphasis on free food
      4. Rina:    For me what came to mind is working with DLT and Dorm presidents. Having a bio of each member of the honor board to make it more reachable to the rest of the members. Doodle polls to see when people are available.
      5. Swati:  Starting off on a smaller level is important, reminding people why the honor board is important. HA’s and DLT can be a good way to reach out to students.
    5. Angela Motte ‘17: Have you read the Honor Code?
      1. Sohini: No
      2. Haidyn: Yes
      3. Maeve: Yes
      4. Rina: Yes
      5. Swati: Yes
    6. What qualities do you bring to the honor board, and what qualities do you feel they should have?
      1. Sohini:   Being open minded and asking for help; looking to other people on the honor board; tease out different perspectives
      2. Haidyn:    I think being collaborative is an important quality to have in the situation
      3. Maeve:   Being fair and being able to separate your emotions from the situation; teamwork and listening also important
      4. Rina: I think being approachable and available so people aren’t afraid to talk to you.
      5. Swati:  Being able to gage the situation given to you. Being able to read a situation well and deal with what’s given to you
    7. Charlie Bruce ‘16: Why do you want to run for this position?
      1. Sohini:  I want to be more involved in SGA
      2. Haidyn: I enjoy the concept of problem and resolution and I’d like to involve myself in the process and conversation
      3. Maeve:  I would like to see more outreach from to Honor Board to the community
      4. Rina: I was nominated and someone thinks I’m qualified for the roll, I’d like to explore that
      5. Swati: Because I think the Honor Code is so important to who Bryn Mawr functions.
    8. Celeste Gambino ‘16: How quickly do you respond  to email?
      1. Sohini: Generally as soon as I get a buzz
      2. Haidyn:  I’m on my email multiple times a day and I respond to the ones that are the highest priority
      3. Maeve: I usually manage to respond within the hour unless in class or asleep
      4. Rina:   Within the hour unless I’m in class or asleep
      5. Swati: I said that I checked my email very frequently, and that not responding to emails has never been an issue for me.

Posted in Candidates forum, elections.


Candidates Statement April 2015 Elections: 2017 Class President

Aleja Newman:

Howdy!

My name is Aleja Newman and I’m running for Class President of 2017. I’m excited to run for this position because I really care about servant leadership and want to serve my class. I was Co-Class President last year and want to better my role this year.

Ways I intend to better my role are by:

-Posting more on Facebook so that people who aren’t as in touch with email can get notifications in another way. Facebook is a popular social media source so even if everyone can’t get it there will be more buzz about events.

-Having more interactive sister class teas that encourage participants to engage in activities that one would need a “partner” for. For example, the instructions for an activity could be “Find a member of your sister class and as them the following 3 questions.”

-Working with Study Abroad Coordinators to continue sending postcards to those abroad or hopefully planning skype sessions if many students are in the same program.

Things I also want to keep in mind so that we can have more holistic participation are:

-McBrides and off-campus students: Teas can be inaccessible to students who don’t live on campus if they are held at late hours and etc.

-Students with disabilities: Making sure that events are held in accessible locations and that activities can include everyone.

-Students who have work study and extracurriculars: These students often have to miss events because there are time conflicts

Overall I want to make sure that more students of the 2017 class can be included. I plan to either have teas at more opportune times or to have teas at various time throughout the year. Even if I can’t get everyone in the same room at the same time I would like to create events that allow will allow more of the class of 2017 to participate.

I’m excited to be your 2017 Class President. A vote for Aleja, is a vote that’ll please ya!

I can be contacted at anewman02@brynmawr.edu

More information about elections and the other candidates running can be found at http://elections.blogs.brynmawr.edu/; or you can contact the elections heads Joy Chan and Delaney Williams at jschan@brynmawr.edu and dcwilliams@brynmawr.edu

Voting will take place on Moodle April 20th, 9am – April 21st

Love, chocolate, and the color red,

Aleja (:

Posted in elections.

Tagged with , , , .


Candidates Statement April 2015 Elections: 2016 Songs Mistress

Jo Dutilloy:

My name is Jo Dutilloy and I believe I am particularly qualified for the position of 2016 songsmistress. I have had two years of experience as songsmistress of the 2017 class and I love facilitating class spirit and unity through song. Step sings are my favorite parts of all traditions and I bring a lot of energy and joy to the tradition. I love Bryn Mawr and I have tons of class spirit.  I also really value the comfort and love of the community and would make it one of my first priorities to make sure people feel safe and welcome. Senior songmistress means heading not only the senior class but also the rest of the students and I feel that I have a lot to offer that role, not only because of how much it would mean to me but also because what it means to our class. I feel that I have what it takes to make our last year of traditions great.

 

Rachel Ofili:

Hey Class of 2016, my name is Rachel Ofili and I am running for 2016 Songsmistress. I had a blast being your Songsmistress last year and I would so love to continue being Songsmistress for this coming year. With a year of experience under my belt, I know how to successfully run step sings, Lantern Night, and Parade Night and work very closely with the Traditions Mistresses. I love singing my heart out and I am ready and excited to go through this journey that is senior year with all of you! EVENS ’TIL WE’RE DEAD!

Posted in Uncategorized.

Tagged with , , , .