Skip to content

Categories:

Spring 2012 Candidates’ Forum Minutes

Candidates Forum April 2012 Minutes

2013/2014 Songs Mistresses

2013 Songs Mistress Candidate:
Kersti Francis ‘13
2014 Songs Mistress Candidate:
Jackie Handy ‘14

Maddy Court ‘13: what is a moment that you realized you like being in the position?
Kersti Francis ‘13: I was thinking about how much time has passed since we were freshmen. Do you remember when we had glow sticks on our first step sing class of 2013?  I was so nervous, no one told me what was going on, and I just had this robe on and everyone made me feel that I did a good job!  Just being able to hang out with my class that way and get to know people I might not have gotten to know otherwise.

Jackie Handy ‘14: I think the first time I was able to be a songs mistress last May when I was in front of everyone and I kicked over my lantern.  I was so nervous, and everyone had just seen me kick over my lantern.  But then everyone told me it was okay and started screaming my name. I felt loved.
Chloe Baumann ‘14: for Kersti, as Senior Songs Mistress, you tend to have a more leadership role.  How would you describe your abilities to handle drunk people?
Kersti Francis ‘13: my loudness.  I am not that quiet of a person. I have had practice the past three years leading my own class and I know it will be more difficult, but watching how other people have managed to do it has taught me.  Also next year I will have the power of the Anass, which will hopefully help.

Jackie Handy ’14: on lantern night, I felt like I did not know what to do, and I turned to you [Kersti], and you always had answers.

Julia Stuart ‘13: do you know who makes the song book
Kersti Francis ‘13: I do know who makes the song book, traditionally it is the senior songs mistress the summer before her senior year, but last year it was Devanshi.  So I know I will have to ask Devanshi for help with that.
_________________________________________________________________________________

2015 Class President

2015 Class President Candidates:
Marian Slocum ’15 and Makala Forster ‘15

Elizabeth Held ‘12: why are you running for class president?
Marian Slocum ‘15: we are running because we want to make the class of 2015 a united class and have and have a great year and make hell week amazing for both the Hellees and Hellers.
Syona Arora ‘15: what experience do you have to hold this position?
Makala Forster ‘15: we have both held a lot of different leadership positions that work with organizing people with big events.
Marian Slocum ‘15: I have planned my high school senior winter formal which had about 350-400 students.  I have done the whole mass planning and control of people before, so I have a background in this and know what to do.

Michaela Olson ‘15: what ideas do you have for activities as class presidents?
Makala Forster ‘15: game nights and themed teas.  For example, getting together and doing karaoke and just relieving some stress.  Just getting to know each other more as a class.  Also, pre-finals, getting together and talking and having tea, distressing.
Marian Slocum ‘15: karaoke is a great way to destress.

Lindsey Crowe ‘14: both of you are athletes, how will you balance this with those commitments?
Marian Slocum ‘15: being an athlete makes you even more qualified to do something like this because you have to manage your time with sports and it is just another element of that so it would be easier because we know how to do that.
Makala Forster ‘15: we also have a lot of experience in knowing how to work with other people.
_________________________________________________________________________________

2013 Class President

2013 Class President Candidates:
Kersti Francis ‘13 and Maddy Court ‘13
Devanshi Vaid ‘13 and Julia Stuart ‘13

Sarah Henkind ‘13: what kind of senior cocktails would you plan?
Maddy Court ‘13: last night we met with Nora Chong and she said it was really helpful to do a survey at the end of Jr. Year, but she told us the really successful ones were the fancier ones, and I think the class of 2013 is a fancy class.

Kersti Francis ’13: We understand that this is not a dictatorship, so we want to get your feedback as a class most importantly.  Even though we have ideas, we do not want to push them.
Devanshi Vaid ‘13: we have bounced and served at a bunch of senior cocktails, and while we would take a survey, we also have ideas that we would want to maybe put out there and ask people what they think of them.  Some of them are fancy and some are laidback.  Maybe out door BBQ, outdoor drink things, murder mystery trials.
Julia Stuart ‘13: I also want to say that I think the theme is important but, the most important part is to plan a really good event with good drinks (alcoholic and nonalcoholic), and just having a lot of fun as a class.

Elizabeth Held ‘12: how comfortable are you with getting money from people?
Maddy Court ‘13: Very comfortable because I am in college news and we don’t have any money.
Devanshi Vaid ‘13: we managed a massive budget this year with traditions, and we are comfortable asking people for money and handling it and using it responsibly.

Sowmya Srinivasan ‘13: planning senior week is big endeavor, what kind of experience do you have planning events like that?
Julia Stuart ‘13: Devanshi and I have done traditions together, which involves a lot of planning and communicating with different offices and personnel on campus.  Aside from that, we have worked together in stressful situations: roommates freshman year, customs committee.  We have been through it all.
Kersti Francis ‘13: likewise, Devanshi and I were customs together last year, and we had a really large hall.  But I am also customs Customs Committee Co-Head right now so I are planning all of the customs week events right now with Sarah Jordan.  When we talked to Nora and Lindsey and Shannon (Class president from two years ago), we figured out how far in advance we should start working.  Maddy works for Conferences and I have worked with conferences, so we both have worked individually in our own extracurriculars but also together planning things.

Vrinda Varia ‘13: the role asks you to be mentors for SGA. How would you do this for the assembly?
Julia Stuart ‘13: having been in SGA for the past year, I think that a lot of people do not know when it is okay to speak, or are shy about participating.  So it is important to participate and blaze the way.  Aside from that, really showing the commitment to be there.
Kersti Francis ‘13: Maddy was class president freshman year which gave her a crash course in that.  But I think that neither of us is shy and really friendly about communicating.  So already getting to know people who are getting involved in SGA, and taking our knowledge of the greater Bryn Mawr community and applying it to SGA I think would be great.  And knowing when to refer questions on to the Exec board.

Molly Kauffman ‘14: what kinds of experiences you had that qualifies you for this position?
Maddy Court ‘13: I was class president my freshmen year, and then took two years off to be editor of the bi-co and college news.  I also do a lot of journalism stuff in Philadelphia.
Kersti Francis ‘13: I have done a fair amount.  I am a co-head of the customs committee, rugby presidents, lead debate for the past year.

Maddy Court ’13: and next year Kersti and I are the gender and sexuality representatives.
Kersti Francis ‘13: So I feel very comfortable taking this leadership position.  Next year I have cut a lot of things out of my schedule, but my priorities right now for next year are being HA, gen-sex rep, songs mistress.  I feel like I would be able to easily balance all of this.
Devanshi Vaid ‘13: neither of us have ever been class president before, but since sophomore year we held a lot leadership positions.  We were both customs people, on the customs committee, I worked organizing buzz for change, Julia does a lot with rugby, and this year we did traditions.  Once we are done with traditions, we are going to have a lot of time to devote to being class presidents.
Julia Stuart ‘13: Devanshi is an amazing writer and I think she would be amazing in writing the two really important speeches by the class president.  And I think she would be amazing in doing that.  I do rugby, and I did customs, and traditions, and I love Bryn Mawr and I want us to have an awesome senior year.
Devanshi Vaid ‘13: all four of us want to have an awesome senior year and want to see that happen.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Civic Engagement Office Representative

Civic Engagement Office Representative Candidate:
Molly Kauffman ‘14

*****************

Sarah Lovegren ‘14: what is your relationship right now with the CEO?
Molly Kauffman ‘14: I have only recently started working with them researching summer opportunities in Philly and through.  I wish I had gone earlier so I could get involved with volunteer work.  I think it is a great resource that not many students may utilize because it’s far away.  So my relationship is relatively recent but I want to work with them more. s
S: Since last semester I’ve volunteered with parkway, doing a praxis at parkway, meet with Kelly.  I also go there a lot.

Amanda Beardall ‘14: what role should CEO serve in SGA? What should the relationship be between the CEO and the SGA?  Why is the position important?
Molly Kauffman ‘14: I think it is important because I would go to the SGA meetings and serve as a go-between between CEO and SGA which are both big centers on campus with student activities and life.   And I think that is really important to have to increase publicity on campus. Important to be elected because I will be communicating with student body.
S: A key element of a Bryn Mawr College education is the presence of the CEO.  The CEO Representative makes the opportunities more known, voices them to SGA, and has them spread to the community.

Kersti Francis ‘13: do you have any ideas to emphasize the CEO on campus? How?
Molly Kauffman ‘14: I would like to continue a lot of the initiatives in place.  I like how summer service has become more known on campus.  I would like to table and increase awareness on campus about what the CEO does.  I would want to plan 1-2 events every semester on campus involving CEO.
S: Talking to friends about praxis, they are interested. The CEO does lots of this that people aren’t involved in b/c they don’t know.  Word of mouth helps.  So I would like to create a stronger link.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Residence Council Heads

Residence Council Head Candidates:
Sarah Henkind ‘13 and Kendra Kelly ‘13

Kersti Francis ‘13:
what experience do you have working together?
Sarah Henkind ‘13: I was dorm president of rhoads south last year, and would have again but I was abroad.
Kendra Kelly ‘13: I am currently Denbigh dorm president.
Sarah Henkind ’13: We have known each other since Freshman year, we were roommates last year, head sophomore traditions reps together.
Amanda Beardall ‘14: with the new change about dorm presidents becoming an elected position in the spring, what are your ideas about training in the summer?
Kendra Kelly ‘13: that is something still being worked on and I am one of the volunteers to decide what kind of training will happen in the summer.  So I think using those decisions will be really helpful tying it into this position.

Vrinda Varia ‘13:
what do you think role is the dorm presidents are? How will you keep them accountable?
Sarah Henkind ‘13: it is really important that they communicate with the dorm and that they know what is going in the physical building and how the people are doing.
Kendra Kelly ‘13: advocating for the needs of the residence and so they live in a happy and safe environment.  What the dorm presidents bring to us, we act as liaisons to the administrators.  Also holding Dorm Presidents accountable and making sure they show up to our meetings.

Elizabeth Held ‘12: what do you view is the role Dorm President in Dorm Leadership Team?
Kendra Kelly ‘13: I think it will be strengthened by this new integration that is taking place with them coming back early in the summer and being trained.  Because in the fall it is read off what you are getting yourself into really quick, running in the spring will clarify the actual responsibilities of the Dorm President and Dorm Leadership Team. It will help with accountability and give them the officialness.

Irene Shin ‘13: what do you think are the problems within the DLT and residential living?
Sarah Henkind ‘13: I think one of the biggest problems right now is the appliances in the dorms.  Whether or not things like rice cookers should be in the dorm is something to address.
Kendra Kelly ‘13: anything from roof leaks to physical comfort of the dorms to rising issues of theft.  So trying to start conversations about this.

Lee McClenon ‘14: why are you excited to run for this position? What can you bring?
Sarah Henkind ‘13: we both love being a Bryn Mawr, we both love being involved, and can bring a new level of conglomeration to the DLT and be effective.
Kendra Kelly ‘13: building from the positive experience we have had being Dorm Presidents in the past and participating in the SGA meetings.

Irene Shin ‘13: can you talk about some negative things and how you would address them?
Kendra Kelly ‘13: negative in what sense?
Irene Shin ‘13: conflicts, issues you would have to address in meetings.
Sarah Henkind ‘13: there was a conflict between two Dorm Presidents in the past; it all depends on the situation.  Try to move on with what is important for the day and then talk to them afterwards.
Kendra Kelly ‘13: when a conversation at Res-Co meeting stops being productive and you move into that point into personal opinion that is when it is time to call the meeting to order and redirect the conversation so you don’t get to the point where there is an eruption.

Devanshi Vaid ‘13: how would you see handling conflicts that arise between the two of you?
Sarah Henkind ‘13: to be honest, we know each other on such a deep level and we do not have much conflict ever.
Kendra Kelly ‘13: we have a great relationship and we are very honest when things come up.
Sarah Henkind ‘13: we tell each other like it is
Kendra Kelly ‘13: and it works
_________________________________________________________________________________

2014 Class Presidents

2014 Class President Candidates:

Lindsey Crowe ‘14 and Kelly Wilkinson ‘14

Kersti Francis ‘13: what was the best part of being class president this year?
Kelly Winkinson ‘14: the dance was the best part, even though it was very stressful and we did not partake in the festivities, it was really rewarding to see how happy everyone else was.  I think it was a very safe and comfortable environment which we were trying to achieve this year.
Lindsey Crowe ‘14: counting all of the lizards gave me a connection to the incoming class that I hold very near and dear.
Julia Stuart ‘13: what do you think you would change next year form this year, if anything?
Lindsey Crowe ’14: not necessarily change, but we want to keep the unity because everyone is going abroad.  We want to make sure the class of 2014 stays together even though people are going abroad.
Kelly Wilkinson ‘14: keep events spaced out so there are not too many things back to back.

Amanda Beardall ‘14: as a follow up question, how do you plan to support the people coming back from being abroad?
Lindsey Crowe ‘14: we are trying to create an environment to stay in touch with the students that are abroad.  If it is possible, send updates about what is happening so when the people come back, there is not an awkward space for when they return.  We want everyone to stay in touch.

Elizabeth Held ‘12:
what the difference between Sophomore Class President and Junior Class President?
Kelly Wilkinson ‘14: sophomore year was mainly traditions, but to my understanding next year will be more about fundraising.  So the same level of organization, but interacting with different people.
Lindsey Crowe ‘14: the focus will be more on the class of 2014 instead of the incoming class.

Lee McClenon ‘14: neither of you are going abroad?
Kelly Wilkinson ’14 and Lindsey Crowe ’14: no, we are staying here with you guys!
_________________________________________________________________________________

Curriculum Committee Heads

Curriculum Committee Head Candidates:
Alice Fischer ‘13 and Aya Martin-Seaver ‘13

Sarah Theobald ‘12: what is your experience in dealing with faculty?
Alice Fischer ‘13: we have both have and made extended attempts to have good relationships with our professors outside of class.  This year we have been co-faculty representatives.  So we have had a lot of exchanges with the faculty.

Aya Martin-Seaver ‘13: one of the things we started with previous Secretary, Mae Carlton, is a newsletter that we would send out to the faculty about what the SGA has done.  And a couple of them really liked it.
Elizabeth Held ‘12: how do you work with each other?
Alice Fischer ‘13: we work well together.  We have worked together since freshman year in German class.
Aya Martin-Seaver ‘13: we also have been trading off SGA work and we are very comfortable delegating who is going to go to SGA and assigning tasks and completing them.

Michaela Olson ‘15: how do you deal with sudden problems that may arise?
Alice Fischer ‘13: I think we are both level headed and our primary contact would be with Student Curriculum Committee or faculty so I think that we having been on the SCC before, our previous experience enough to be able to handle it.

Sarah Theobald ‘12: what are some of the things that you would want to do with what the appointments committee gifted to you?
Aya Martin-Seaver ’13: major council.  What we want to do is have a better resource and list so that we would be able to use them as resources.  Maybe a major fair and coordinate with class presidents so that you could hand out info sheets about different majors.
Alice Fischer ‘13: I also think it is really important since we have been having these major general curriculum changes that communication is important.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Traditions Mistresses

Traditions Mistress Candidates:
Sarah Bristow ‘14 and Kayla Bondi ‘14

Irene Shin ‘13: what do you think this job entails?
Sarah Bristow ‘14: a lot of work
Kayla Bondi ‘14: a lot of connecting with other people higher ups, organizing all of the traditions.
Sarah Bristow ’14: once we decided we were going to run together, we contacted Julia and Devanchi and found out more about the job and what they have done this year.

Lavanya Nott ‘14:
what previous experience do you have working together?
Kayla Bondi ‘14: we have not done anything in a leadership position together
but separately we have a lot of leadership roles.
Sarah Bristow ‘14: we have worked together at Erdman; we have been working together there for two years.  We are also in the same group of friends.  And the fact that we have worked together is almost more important than being having a friend kind of relationship because we are going to be more productive.  We have been discussing the different things we can do next year, and we have had a really positive and successful relationship in this way.

Devanshi Vaid ‘13: describe a high stress situation and how you got through it?
Kayla Bondi ‘14: I directed a show for Shakespeare troop and that was a lot of people and all of my time.  I managed a budget for that and it was extremely stressful when I realized things needed to get down to business.  I managed to keep calm and get everything together.  It was pretty stressful, but my ability to keep calm helped bring everything together.
Sarah Bristow ‘14: I am in the Extreme Keys acappella group.  We were planning a tour and it got down to a week before we were supposed to leave, but no one responded to us.  We had to try and contact a bunch of people we had never met before and develop a relationship.  We had to figure out places to stay, eat, and perform before we had gone.  And I was a core contact for that and within a week, I ended up setting up a show with American University.  We also did a lot of the budgeting together, and found out that all of our forms for reallocation have been lost, and the studio we recorded at has not been paid, so we are currently trying to figure this out.

Sowmya Srinivasan ‘13: do you have experience managing such a large budget?
Kayla Bondi ‘14: not as large as traditions, but I managed a large budget for a show of about $1000, which seemed like a lot to me.  I feel like I could handle that because there are a lot of specific things that need to be done with the budget.

Devanshi Vaid ‘13: in every tradition you work for, you organize a lot of people, when it comes to the student body, how do you plan on handling situations when people just don’t respond and things are not falling into place?
Kayla Bondi ‘14: I am really good at getting out there and getting people to participate.  I am really good at communicating with people.  I think this really comes from my theater background.  Making people come together is one of my strong points.
Sarah Bristow ‘14: there is also more than one way to go about contacting people.  We wouldn’t just settle for one method if people are not responding to emails.

Irene Shin ‘13: What experiences do you have with emailing?
Kayla Bondi ‘14: I got an email address since I was 6 and have been going strong ever since.  I love making folders, organizing, never have more than 12 unread emails at a time in my inbox.
Sarah Bristow ‘14: I go through and read everything.  I do not leave things unread.  I have experience with list serves because of extreme keys and stuff like that.

Julia Stuart ‘13: if a conflict were to arise, related/unrelated to traditions, how would you work together?
Sarah Bristow ‘14: when we pulled up your candidate’s forum from last year, we really liked your idea of making a contract, similar to the roommate contract.  And making a plan for allies we can have, close friends, etc. that talk to and work with in the event that something like that happens.  We want have our contract outline our goals and our individual responsibilities within those goals.

Lee McClenon ‘14: you said you brainstormed some ideas, what are your plans?
Sarah Bristow ‘14: we have some ideas that we have talked about. What we want to do is improve traditions without affecting the integrity of the tradition itself.  One of the things that has arisen is alcohol in Goodhart and the potential that we might lose that space and have to move to Thomas Great Hall. Moving to TGH is a last resort for us because they are called Goodhart performances, so they are in Goodhart.  But one idea that we have had, although we have not talked to higher up people yet, is that the black box is used for plenary, they are allowed to have food in there.  So what we were maybe talking about was having a pre-party area in there with a live feed to the stage so it is still participating without getting food all over.  And to have a designated cleanup crew and more bouncers for that area.  This is just the kind of thing we are looking into, it is not definite.


Blair Smith ‘12:
SGAs budget is pretty tight, if you had to choose one tradition to lose money for, what would it be?
Kayla Bondi ‘14: so as we said, we looked up the answers form last week, and there is really only one answer: hell week, because it is the one tradition that will come together with or without money.  If we were to ask the alumnae, we feel that they would give us money to support the tradition and come together.
Blair Smith ‘12: trick question, parade night is free.

Amanda Beardall ‘14: there have been lot of instances of sexual assault at the dance, how do you plan to make it a safer space?
Kayla Bondi ‘14:
Julia and Devanshi did a great job – turning up the lights, played different types of music.  I think that more people station inside the dance maybe lining the walls or something like that because most bouncers are outside the dance where none of this happens.  We do things like that and continue the things that they have been doing.  Just add more supervision.

Devanshi Vaid ‘13: so this year, one of our biggest problems with hell week was a lot of open container violations.  While we only had maybe 1 person go to hospital, we had a lot of administrators and professors see open bottles.  How do you plan on handling traditions in that sense that involve large campus-wide messages?

Sarah Bristow ‘14: collaborating with each dorms DLT because it gives a larger network of people to keep track of incidences and stop them before they start.  I feel like communication is a big part of it with everyone on campus.
Kayla Bondi ‘14: I like the idea of the DLT because getting a traditions email during hell week is pretty common, but getting one that trickles down from traditions to eventually people in the DLT, you are more likely to read it and take the information in.  I feel like putting it out there a lot, as much as possible.

Devanshi Vaid ‘13: why are you running for this position?
Kayla Bondi ‘14: I heard about Bryn Mawr’s traditions and though it sounded weird at first.  I came here expecting it to be really cultish and weird, but it was amazing.  Bryn Mawr has been my home for two year becuase my actual family has been bouncing around places.  Traditions have given me the most sense of community during my experience.  i have made a lot of my friends through traditions and it has really helped me get through things.  My hell family is some of my best friends and I feel like it is just the biggest thing that makes Bryn Mawr a community.  It is the same reason I ran for customs. My traditions experience has been amazing and I want to give an equally awesome experience for the incoming freshmen and student body.
Sarah Bristow ‘14: I am still here because of traditions.  I was going to transfer until hell week happened.
Kayla Bondi ‘14: I think that says it all right there.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Social Committee Head

Social Committee Head Candidate:
Hannah Lehman ‘13

Lindsey Crowe ‘14:
why are you running for this position?
Hannah Lehman ’13: I think that social life on campus can be improved.  From a personal experience, in talking to friends, I find that people have to go other places to go out.  I want to make change happen, to have more fun, more parties.

Irene Shin ‘13:
what ideas do you have for the position?
Hannah Lehman ‘13: Form a strong committee who are in support of this.  Also, talking to Mary Beth to find a non-dorm location to have a party.  I want to work with the administration, other groups, to find a place that doesn’t have conflicts with res, stealing, etc.
Elizabeth Held ‘12: will you actually appoint a social committee?
Hannah Lehman ‘13: Yes!!

Lee McClenon ’14: beyond the traditional Bryn Mawr parties, what do you think this role entails?
Hannah Lehman ‘13: It’s about being aware.  Social life is also about having fun, being aware of the other opportunities to get together, promote planga, promote events, comedy, concert series, etc.

Sarah Jordan ‘13: how do you plan to fundraise for parties?
Hannah Lehman ‘13: For snacks and things, you can budget through SGA.  Besides that, selling t-shirts, or other things for other funding.  I would see if the committee has ideas.

Amanda Beardall ‘14: how do you plan to encourage people to have social events on campus?
Hannah Lehman ‘13: Part of the social committee’s role could be to host parties, show people that it can be done; you can get bouncers, and things. Advertise that the process isn’t too difficult.

Molly Kauffman ‘14: what do you think makes Bryn Mawr fun?
Hannah Lehman ‘13: I think the people make it fun.  We have a really interesting student body, and everyone works hard during the week, so they want to go out and have fun. People look for something different to break up the stress.

Michaela Olson ‘15:
how do you plan to keep people involved and apprised of all of the events on campus?
Hannah Lehman ‘13: Using fliers and planga, use that more. Adelyn was in support of planga. Being careful about using social media, making sure that’s not an issue. Plan early.
_________________________________________________________________________________

2014 and 2013 Honor Board

2014 Honor Board Candidates:
Shareen Saxena ‘14

2013 Honor Board Candidates:
Martha Johnson ‘13
Emily Tong ‘13

Irene Shin ‘13: what are the major issues seen in the honor code today or peoples understanding of it?
Emily Tong ‘13: I think that the honor code is lost a little too quickly for incoming freshman so there is little sense of accountability because they do not understand what it entails.  I think people casually refer to the honor code, rather than taking issues like academic integrity seriously.  I think a lot of people overlook situations that they could further pursue because they do not want to damage the friendship, but ultimately it damages the school.  I am also currently on the board, and it has been a really wonderful experience to connect with the Bryn Mawr community.
Martha Johnson ‘13:  When people start, there isn’t enough conversation. So, to have a larger one early about the benefits of the trust in the committee but not everyone understands that.
Shareen Saxena ‘14: I agree with Emily in that as far as what I have seen with people I know, they see it as a more casual thing, but it is really fundamental in making Bryn Mawr, Bryn Mawr.  Maybe explaining to people more about the honor code and why it is applicable.

Irene Shin ‘13: do you guys think that this position is a public figure position or do you believe this is a situation where you feel you should not be in the public realm?
Emily Tong ‘13:
I see this as a public role and want the honor board to become more visible on campus.  Most people see it as scary, but the members are all available to the community to make the code more clear.  They are people to talk to so people feel as though they are being heard.
Shareen Saxena ‘14: I feel that both aspects are equally important but the public aspects side of it is what allows everything the Honor Board does and stands for to and spread awareness.  Part of our roles is to be a resource to embody and spread word of the code.
Emily Tong ‘13: on the administrative side, it is definitely a part of it.  Irene started a 24 hour response thing, so being more accountable and scheduling so hearings can happen, something that is really important to me and that I stay on top of.
Martha Johnson ‘13: It’s kind of a private thing, but working for a public image, trying to have a public force having a behind the scenes presence
_________________________________________________________________________________

2015 Songs Mistress

 

2015 Songs Mistress Candidates:
Heidi Gay
Syona Arora
Michelle Lee

Kersti Francis ‘13: what do you think is the biggest challenge in this position?
Heidi Gay ‘15: crowd control at step sings. It does get pretty chaotic.  Also, not having done it freshmen year and having an incoming freshman songs mistress.
Syona Arora ‘15: it is a huge crowd and it will be hard to control them.  Other than organizing the step sings, which you have help with, but controlling your own class
Michelle Lee ‘15: going off of what has been said, probably encouraging people to actually learn the songs because you need to be enthusiastic for other people to be.

Lindsey Crowe ‘14: this year’s sophomore class had some disagreement with the song, how do you feel taking criticism if it comes down to changing the class song, or anything of that matter because there can be some backlash?
Heidi Gay ‘15: I would try and get feedback from the class and see if is something that is critical enough to change the song.  If we do, we would go through the process of nominations and voting.

Syona Arora ‘15: reaching out to as many people as possible about what they would prefer.  I understand that there was a situation where you had to change it because deciding the song freshman year; you do not exactly understand what you are doing. And going off of what Heidi said, using surveys and voting on a new song.
Michelle Lee ‘15: going off of that, getting in contact with the class presidents and having a class tea and asking people then.  Asking peoples opinions and making them know.  If there was criticism, then I would do this.

Elsie Chung ‘15: a lot of the times, it sounds like a jumbled mess when we sing. What ideas do you have by encouraging the class to come together and sing the song well?
Heidi Gay ‘15: class teas or something for that, something similar to doing what we did to try and learn Sophias.  Encouraging people to come and learn the songs.  If elected, I would really hope that you would want to take ownership of your class song.
Syona Arora ‘15: I don’t necessarily think people would be willing to go to workshops.  Sophias was a different situation, but I do think that we need to know the songs.  Even just sending out an email of the song’s lyrics and a youtube so people know what it sounds like.  Maybe at like at parade night, keeping time or something with your lantern.  Keeping together by making sure all lyrics are matching up.
Michelle Lee ‘15: using social media (emails, facebook, tumbler, tweeting, etc.) and telling everyone so they know what’s happening.

Kersti Francis ‘13: it is not a major time commitment throughout the year, but what do you think would be the busiest time throughout the year?
Heidi Gay ‘15: I asked Ethan questions, and she did not say much about it.  I would gather that the busiest time is the week before Lantern Night, when the incoming freshmen need to know the songs.  I would handle this by planning ahead.
Syona Arora ‘15: we have not experienced the May Day step sing, but I think that parade night was extremely big.  I think parade night and lantern night are the two largest.  Making sure that you have a list of what needs to get done and doing it efficiently.
Michelle Lee ‘15: I would help out as much as I can with the incoming songs mistress. The freshmen class don’t know what’s going on, and through helping them out, that would be the busiest time for me.

Lauren Buckheit ‘15: being a songs mistress is a leadership position, what are experiences you have?
Heidi Gay ‘15: I don’t think you need a leadership to be a leader. What I tried to do, like in high school, I was a part of clubs and just tried to connect with the incoming members and was not in a leadership role.  I am going to be a supervisor at Haffner.
Syona Arora ‘15: currently serving as class president with Nkechi. I have experience with the same class that I would be singing with, which is a good connection to have.  But do not too many leadership positions musically.
Michelle Lee ‘15: I have had a lot of leadership positions in high school. I was the leader of achappella group in high school, and I do know how lead a crowd and start the singing.  I have a loud voice.  In leadership styles, I think generally one of the things that I tried to do was provide a welcoming environment.  I think it’s a quality that leaders should have.

Hannah Roos ‘12:  perform something!  A song! I did this to Kersti two years ago.
Syona Arora ‘15: Aaron Carter – Aaron’s Party (Come Get It)
Heidi Gay ‘15: Kelly Clarkson – Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)
Michelle Lee ‘15: rendition of Super Bass by Nicki Minaj
_________________________________________________________________________________

 

1-Year and 2-Year 2015 Honor Board

 

1-Year 2015 Honor Board Candidates:

Heidi Gay ‘15

Alisha Pandit ‘15

Eun-Young Park ‘15

 

2-Year 2015 Honor Board Candidates:

Sruthi Buddai ‘15

Sophia Dauria ‘15

Elsie Chung ‘15

Alex Lieberman ‘15

Melissa Torquato ‘15

Syona Arora ‘15: how do you think you will contribute to the honor board?

Elsie Chung ’15: I think that being on the board will allow me to be more involved in the community.  It is one of the biggest aspects and really defines Bryn Mawr and would allow me to be involved in a really direct way.  I think it is really important to be unbiased and treat everyone with integrity.
Melissa Torquato ‘15: I personally have a lot of ideas about honor board. Specifically, honor board was glossed over really quickly and we did not understand what it was completely.  I think it is important that it does not happen this year.  I think that continuing the outreach to the community and playing larger role it the social atmosphere
Sophia Dauria ‘15: it is a huge reason why I decided to come to bmc. How I feel comfortable going to school and living with these people. I agree that it was glossed over during customs week.  Not just having the honor board as an overarching, but talking more in customs group and being more hands on.
Alex Lieberman ‘15: I agree what you guys are saying, but also when we came during customs week we understood that the honor code was something that keeps our community empowered.  In my position, I would want to remind the community that it is something that guides us, and if you have an issue with it, to bring it up so we can fix it and enjoy what we have here.
Alisha Pandit ‘15: I think that what has been said is completely true.  That it is important for the student body to know what the honor board and code entails and that everyone feels comfortable talking about it.
Eun-Young Park ‘15: when I came here, I was really glad to know that there is an honor code. I had an idea of making a fun music video to make the frosh more aware of the honor code.
Heidi Gay ‘15: the honor board is extremely important here, but I think that the academic honor code is taken seriously, but the social is not as much.  There has been theft in dorms, etc. and I mean it does work, but I know personally, I am not sure who to talk to or where to go if I have questions.  One things I would like is to make myself known as someone on the honor board and people would be free to ask me questions.
Sruthi Buddai ’15: I’ve had experience with mock trial in high school, help understand how a regulatory system works, moral values, and see how court dynamics work. Volunteered as a debate tournament judge, which was great. People coming together to have discussions that are mediated without bias.

Irene Shin ‘13: what do you do as a member on the honor board?
Elsie Chung ’15: review the different things that happen when the honor code is violated
Melissa Torquato ‘15: that is part of it, but also knowing the honor board, reviewing cases.
Sophia Dauria ‘15: being available, knowing honor board, not being partial if I had a friend, being able to stay level headed, fair opinion.
Alex Lieberman ‘15: respond quickly to emails and be flexible in schedule and collaborate
Alisha Pandit ‘15: being impartial and fair, but also being open s that everyone knows they can come to you and know what honor code is
Eun-Young Park ‘15: know that you are an accountable figure and not to be scared of the honor board.
Heidi Gay ‘15: be professional, know honor code, review cases
Sruthi Buddai ’15: Talking to members, my perception is attending hearings and listen, being a behind the scenes person. Observing what’s going on, making moral judgments.

Caroline Kenward ‘12:
just for 2 years, are you planning on going abroad
Everyone: no.

Michelle Lee ‘15: in a case that a peer that comes into the honor board, and they are scared how would you sooth their crying?
Elsie Chung ’15: I am a very huggy person, I would hug them and sing to them or whatever weird song is popular that year.
Melissa Torquato ‘15: really understandable that people come scared, but if it did just being as calm as we can yourself and a comforting presence.
Sophia Dauria ‘15: my understanding is that their main goal is not to kick you out of school.  If you do get in trouble, the first thing that comes in mind is that you will be kicked out, but that isn’t true. To remind them the reality of it.
Alex Lieberman ‘15: agree with Sophia, that they have support there, they can speak to the people on the honor board and can talk to anyone there in confidence.
Alisha Pandit ‘15: well all are going to try and make the honor board a comfortable situation. Try and encourage calm environment
Eun-Young Park ‘15: I am not sure exactly how the confrontation works. But making it a warm environment, comfortable setting, be a good listener, and look them in the eye and let them know want to help
Heidi Gay ‘15: find somewhere non intimidating, more comfortable place.  Tea coffee, something so that it is less intimidating.
Sruthi Buddai ’15: If any of my friends came to me, I would help. But as a member of honor board, I can’t really say what will tell her what will happen. But just say things happen, not give special treatment.

Irene Shin ‘13: What kinds of time commitments do you think this is?
Elsie Chung ’15: I would think it is a lot, and I think the HB has a lot of weight. I think all of us came up here because we are willing to dedicate our time to the board.
Melissa Torquato ‘15: the time commitment is a lot more than what we realize. That you need to be aware that there are probably more than we know on campus, but that we are willing to commit
Sophia Dauria ‘15:  I think it is a lot. I don’t think we exactly know because hearings are not talked about. I can time manage because I am going to be a customs person and tour guide, I would put HB ahead of one of those things.
Alex Lieberman ‘15: talked to someone who said it is about balancing trials
Alisha Pandit ‘15: it is possible to manage just have to plan ahead and manage time
Eun-Young Park ‘15: manage time wisely and I think I have the time management to be on the Honor Board
Heidi Gay ‘15: my impression is that it can be a lot to a little per week (0-10).
Sruthi Buddai ’15: Quite a time commitment, but depends on the semester, 3rd Thursday meetings, but I’m willing to take the time. It’s important to me.

Irene Shin ‘13: give me an instance of a time when you had to be the mediator of a conflict
Elsie Chung ’15: there was an instance of cheating, and two people were not necessarily happy about it, but i heard both sides of the story and did not choose sides right away
Melissa Torquato ‘15: personal issue that arose in my friend group, both became comfortable talking to me about it and eventually was a mediate and did not get really involved, but enough to resolve the issue
Sophia Dauria ‘15: mediating between two people that I don’t know. both coming to me with both stories, to not given an op
Alex Lieberman ‘15: last year in the dorm I lived in, we had an issue with steeling , but we reminded them of the rules of stealing, etc. fellow peers explain the situation
Alisha Pandit ‘15: being able to be calm and help other people
Eun-Young Park ‘15: one instance is when an upper classmen came to me with her personal life, most important thing is to talk to them and answer then and be respectful
Heidi Gay ‘15: I have two little sisters. I separate the two of them and sit them down and talk to both of them and try to see the two sides of the story. Try to get one sibling to see the other sibling’s side of the story.
Sruthi Buddai ’15: In high school I founded a club, holding a benefit concert, working with the admin, had a conflict regarding the venue, the admin didn’t want us to use the venue. Spoke with the board, trying to explain our purpose, but seeing their side. Respected their judgment and found another space for the event.

Posted in Uncategorized.

Tagged with .